I (Shannon) am a pretty uncommitted blogger but this blog isn’t seeing much action what with Alice in school and anyway, I have been meaning to post progress on a quilt I am making. This will be the first largeish quilt I have made, when I finish it. There was baby quilt once that came off my machine when we lived off the grid. It was sewn on a borrowed Singer treadle out of old dresses and some velveteen, with an daggy old fleece blankie as batting, but that has long since disintegrated. (That is a good word, think about it. Dis-integrate…)
Since Alice’s favorite vintage quilt is going south, we decided she needed a new one. (The conversation went like this:
A: “My quilt is falling to pieces. I need a new one.”
S: “Okay. In the meantime you could always use an army surplus blanket.”
A: “Yes, well. But it has to be pretty.”
So, after getting rid of the lion’s share of my quilting cottons last time I moved, I find myself buying them again. I love buying fabric. Hawthorne Threads is the bomb. Low shipping costs, and the send stuff out so fast!
I started thinking I was going to elaborate on these wonky log cabin squares I made a year and a half ago.
I realized, however, that I am sick and tired of that block. When I started sewing those, 8 years or so ago, I thought I was creating something original, but I have since read (in this book that they are the most popular modern quilt square, and no wonder. They are awesome and easy! (Here are some previous examples…)
So, with Sunday Morning Quilts in hand, I decided to make a version of the Candy Coated quilt, which is the one on the cover. Here is a lovely version of it.
And here is my progress so far:
Work and home and drinking schedules really let me only get one or two rows done per week, so I will be right on schedule for my winter holiday deadline. Hang in there, Alice! And remember, I’ll loan you a wool blanket if you need one!